1. Where will I stay?
You will live with your host family during your stay and they will provide a room for you.
2. How do you select host families?
The information in your application facilitates the choice of the right family for you.
 All details about your preferences which you have included in you Kanadaplus application will be considered. Apart from you own wishes, the distance to the school also plays a role. The host family should live within close proximity to the school which should be accessible either by school bus or public transport.
3. What is my role as a host student?
Host families look forward to the exchange with students and treat them like a member of the family. That means you will be included just like a family member and take part in activities such as excursions or grocery shopping. This does of course not mean that you have to be with your host family all the time, even if you would rather meet your friends. But it does mean that host students generally join in family life, help in household chores and share meals. This daily exchange with the host family is of enormous importance as it is the only way you can really integrate into Canadian society. It is also the best way to improve your oral skills in English. Nothing is more conducive to learning a language than having to use it to communicate in every day life!
4. Which rules do I have to obey in my homestay?
Every family has their own habits, and it will take a while to get your head around what every day life actually means in your host family. But there are still some basic rules. You should always be polite, clean up your room, and offer to help with household chores. It is also important that you talk to your host parents about the use of the telephone. You should always use your phone card for long distance calls. And you should not use the telephone too long to make sure other family members can phone as well. Your host parents will explain the more specific expectations they may have in the first few days after your arrival.
5. Can I go out whenever and however long I want?
Of course you can go out and your host parents will give you the house key at the beginning of your stay. But it is crucial that your host parents know where you are at all times. That means that you have to give the names and telephone numbers of the people you are with to them. Should you be with friends in town, your host parents need to be able to reach you on your cell phone. You have to be home for your curfew time, which you will have agreed on with your host parents. It is as if you were at home, and your host parents worry in the same way that your own parents would back home. 
6. How much pocket money do I need?
We recommend $ 250 per month.
7. How can I avoid and solve misunderstandings and conflicts?
You should always first approach your host parents if you feel something is not working out. Communication is key and can avoid issues before they develop into problems. If that does not work, you need to talk to your counselor. She will help you improve the situation.
8. What happens if I don’t get on with my host family?
If it turns out that your host family is not the right fit for you after all, you will, of course, be provided with a new host family.
This family needs to be approved by you and your parents at home again, before you can move. 
9. What kind of behaviour can endanger my stay in Canada?
Since the consumption of alcohol is prohibited for minors (under the age of 19), host parents immediately inform the counselors if their host students have had alcohol and the students are sent back home. The same applies for drugs, of course. If your host parents do not know where you are for more than 12 hours, you are also likely to be excluded from your homestay and high school program and sent home.
10. Do I get all the meals I need from my host parents?
Your host family is your home and you are welcome to eat as much as you need. You will be offered breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Depending on the family situation (work schedules of the parents, sports programs of siblings etc.) meals are shared as often as possible. If you are hungry in between, you can always take some fruit or prepare yourself something else.
11. What is the food like?
You will eat a balanced diet, which includes vegetables, meat and fruit. You can also tell your host parents what you would like to eat while you go grocery shopping with them. Should you be vegetarian, suffer from allergies or need any other considerations to be taken into account, these details will have been shared with your host parents during the application process. Your host parents will already be informed and will have adjusted to your needs before you arrive. 
11. Can I travel during the school holiday?
You always have to be with an adult of 25 years or older when you travel. You also always need the written permission of you own parents, your guardian and your host parents. These rules apply for all areas outside of your school district.
12. Can I change a course at school even if I have already started it?
That depends how long you have already been in the course, and whether there is space in the course which you would rather do.
13. What do I do if I am lost at school because my English is not strong enough?
As soon as you notice that you cannot do your homework, you need to  talk to your teacher. If you then still find it impossible to follow, we will either find a tutor outside school for you, or you will attend the English courses that some schools offer specifically for international students. 
14. Do I have to attend school if I get visitors from home or have the opportunity to join an excursion during the week?
School attendence is compulsory and every lesson you miss at school is marked as absent. If you accumulate unexcused absences, your teachers will want to know why. You can only stay away from school if you have an excuse. If you want to stay away for personal reasons like visitors, this will be considered by your teachers and has to always be approved by your parents. 
15. Do I need an adapter?
European plugs do not fit into Canadian sockets. Therefore it is necessary to have an adapter for electrical applicances that students want to bring to CanadaThe electrical supply is 110/120 Volts and 60 Hertz (cycles per second). 

Any questions?  Please ask: info@kanadaplus.net