University of Victoria (UVic)
Victoria is a popular university town. The quaint atmosphere, the pittoresque harbour with its impressive cruise ships from all over the world and the mild climate have turned Victoria into a popular destination for Canadians, tourists and students alike. Outdoor activities such as whale watching, kayaking, cycling and hiking are equally possible as visits to festivals, galleries, malls, and trips by ferry to Vancouver, Seattle or other islands situated off the coast of Vancouver Island.
The English Language Centre of UVic is directly on the university campus and only 5 minutes away from the beach and 15 minutes away from the city centre of Victoria. The bus connections from everywhere around Victoria to the university campus are excellent. With almost 20 000 students UVic contributes largely to the vibrant student life in Victoria. Kanadaplus cooperates with the English Language Centre to inform students about language programs offered at the university. This service is paid by the university so that it does not increase the official study and accommodation fees of UVic.
SUMMER PROGRAMS “Language and Culture”
These very poplular programs are ideally suited for students looking to improve their English and enjoy their holidays through a variety of activities. Apart from the formal language lessons in the morning, the afternoons are planned for outings such as sightseeing or outdoor activities. Oral communication and intercultural experiences are at the heart of these programs. They are offered from June through August each year.
- Intensive English courses between 8:30 am to 12:30 pm daily
- 20 hours per week
- Workshops in the fields of communication, Canadian music, the arts of First Nations, West Coast Art, and outdoor activities such as hikes, excursions, sports etc.
- Voluntary weekend activities: whale watching, kayaking, skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing, city tours, Buchart Gardens, trips to Vancouver etc. (not included in the price)
12 WEEKS INTENSIVE ENGLISH PROGRAM
This general English course with electives and cultural activities runs from January through April, from April through July and from September through December. Students are placed in class levels according to their placement tests.
- 18 hours per week of structured classes
- 4 hours of elective classes (Business English, Public Speaking, Drama, Art Intercultural Communication, Idioms, Music etc.)
- 8 optional hours of “Study Centre” with teachers and Canadian volunteers for the purpose of improving pronunciation and verbal communication
- Unlimited time in the Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) Facility with a large variety of language software
- Scheduled activities: sight seeing, sports, movies, art workshops, skiing, snowboarding, whale watching, kayaking, Buchart Gardens, Vancouver etc.
BUSINESS BOOST PROGRAMM
Diese Workshops zum Verbessern der Sprachgewandtheit in Geschäftssituationen können in verschiedenen Sprachprogramme integriert werden. Sie sollen es Teilnehmern ermöglichen, ihr Geschäftsenglisch im Mündlichen und Schriftlichen zu verbessern. Dieses Angebot ist nur für Teilnehmer mit fortgeschrittenen Englischkenntnissen möglich.
This 12 month program is only open to students registered and accepted into first year at UVic, and wishing to continue in one of the degree programs of the university. That means that students need to meet the academic requirements for admission to UVic. The program combines English classes with credit courses. Economics, mathematics, sciences and engineering courses are possible within this program.
- 12 months English classes
- University Academic Preparation and Canadian Culture course
- Language support throughout the program
- Academic advising for credit programs
- Students are expected to move into year 2 of their degree program after succesful completion of this program
- Requirments: IELTS 5.5 orTOEFL iBT 71
Please contact us for further details and application forms: email@example.com